The matching process is carried out early in the fourth semester. It is computerised and completely impartial. The students state their choice of PMS in strict order of preference. The PMS also rank the students based on their academic performance, student attributes and involvement in co-curricular activities. The computerised programme gives 5 times greater weighting to the students’ choice over the PMS ranking of students.
PATHWAY TO THE PARTNER MEDICAL SCHOOL (PMS) THROUGH A GRADUATE ENTRY
These graduate medical schools normally only admit candidates with a first degree eg BSc into their 4-year programme. Because of the unique nature of the IMU Bachelor of Medical Sciences (Hons) degree, candidates with this degree are given credit for exemption to part of the 4-year course. This can result in considerable savings in tuition fees and living expenses overseas.
You will be matched to one of the three graduate-entry medical schools mentioned above.
1) Do not have a degree at the time of entry into IMU you will do Phase 1 (2½ years). You can qualify for entry into the BMedSci degree if you have not failed any major examination during Phase 1. To get the IMU Bachelor of Medical Sciences (BMed Sci)(Hons) degree, you will have to remain for 6 months to complete a research-based degree, the BMed Sci at the IMU. You must achieve an upper second class degree. If you do not achieve an upper second class degree, or have failed a major examination in Phase 1, every effort will be made to offer you a place in an undergraduate PMS. In the unlikely event that there is no PMS place, there will be a place for you in the IMU Clinical School.
2) Have an UPPER SECOND CLASS degree when you enter IMU, you could transfer to UW upon successfully completing Phase 1 (2½ years) in IMU, provided you have not failed any major examination during the course. ANU will only accept the BMed Sci (IMU) as the first degree.
● Through a matching process, you will spend 2 years at ANU, or 2½ years at the UW.
● You will have 2 degrees (BMed Sci from IMU and the MBBS equivalent from the PMS).
PATHWAY TO THE PARTNER MEDICAL SCHOOL (PMS) THROUGH A UNDERGRADUATE ENTRY
This is the current PMS route that the majority of our medical students take. You will be matched to a Partner Medical School for another 2½ to 3 years upon successfully completing Phase 1.
POLICY ON RESTRICTIONS OF TRANSFER OF STUDENTS TO PARTNER MEDICAL SCHOOLS
Our Partner Medical School (PMS) are prepared to accept non-Malaysian students. However, students with citizenship in any countries of the PMS will not be eligible to transfer to:
1) The country where they hold citizenship.
2) or hold citizenship with the bloc of countries that shares the same Medical Council, e.g. Australia and New Zealand
● Citizens or PR holders of Australia or New Zealand will not be matched to any of the PMS in Australia and New Zealand.
● Citizens or PR holders of United Kingdom, Ireland, or members of the European Union will not be matched to any of the PMS in the UK and Ireland.
● Citizens or PR holders of Canada will not be matched to any of the PMS in Canada.
Effectively all UK, Irish and Australian Schools are prepared to accept international students.
Students who are matched to Canadian partner school will not be allowed to remain in Canada following completion of the medical training for any purpose, including postgraduate medical training in Canada.
Students with citizenship and permanent resident status in Europe, Australia and Canada are advised to check with the Admission Department on their eligibility to apply. Students with Permanent Residence Status in the following countries cannot be matched for admission into the following Partner Medical Schools:
||CANNOT BE MATCHED TO
||– Australian National University
– University of Adelaide
– University of New South Wales
– University of Newcastle
– University of Tasmania
– Western Sydney University, Australia
||– National University of Ireland, Galway
||– University of Aberdeen
– University of Dundee
– University of Edinburgh
– University of Exeter
– University of Glasgow
– University of Leeds
– University of Liverpool
– University of Manchester
– University of Nottingham
– Queen’s University of Belfast
– Queen Mary University of London, England
– University of Southampton
– University of Warwick
||– Dalhousie University, Canada
* The list of Partner Medical Schools is subject to change from time to time.
The IMU is not responsible for housemanship training.