The University of the West Indies Admission, Fees & Requirements
The University of the West Indies (UWI) is a dynamic international institution, established in 1948. It has four main campuses- Mona campus (main campus), Cave Hill (Barbados), St. Augustine (Trinidad & Tobago), Open campus (Antigua).
The university stretches across 1,062,000 square miles, of the sea from Belize in Central America to Trinidad & Tobago in the South Caribbean Islands.
It is one of the Top Medical universities in the Caribbean, known for its excellence in teaching & research. In the years of its existence, UWI has evolved from one campus in Jamaica with 33 students to a full-fledged University with over 45,000 students, approximately 9000 graduates annually & more than 120,000 alumni. The university has produced leaders in every sphere of Caribbean development.
UWI offers about 800 courses and one of the finest medical courses in the Caribbean, with an extensive curriculum. It has experienced professors, lecturers, and physicians, who are responsible to teach the students for helping them achieve their academic goals & enhance their skills for better career opportunities. The University also maintains a good student-teacher ratio to allow the teachers to guarantee more attention to every student.
It has a vast gateway of endless career and postgraduate opportunities around the globe.
Moreover, it has collaborated on an international level, with over 60 universities around the world. From past years, the campus always focuses on expanding the graduate offering. It offers both, undergraduate and postgraduate degree options in Medical Science, Engineering, and Social Science, etc.
The UWI ensures that its governance, policies and daily operations are focused to offer quality teaching and best learning experience to the students. It aims to provide advanced learning to bring a positive transformation in their students.
- General Medicine (MD- Doctor of Medicine)
- Public Health
Before choosing the Caribbean Islands as a destination for your medical education, let’s get aware of all the factors necessary to take admission at Medical Universities in the Caribbean Nations-
Criteria reserved for Indian students to take admission in MD at any of the Top Medical Universities in the Caribbean Islands, stated as follows-
- Every medical aspirant from India must have completed his/her class XII in Science; having scored a minimum of 50% in Physics, Chemistry and Biology. This is especially required for students from Unreserved Category.
- Reserved category (SC/ST/OBC) students can apply with the 40% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology; as per the guidelines by Medical Council of India (MCI).
- The student must have qualified for NEET (National Eligibility cum Entrance Test). It is mandatory from 2019 onwards.
- No additional entrance test or examination is required.
The team of Education Abroad brings out the easiest admission procedure for the aspirants of MD in the Caribbean Islands.
Go through the following steps and get yourself enrolled with the Top Medical Universities in just a few days-
- Step 1- Fill the Application Form
- Step 2- Submit your academic documents like X & XII mark sheets (educational certificates), Birth Certificate, NEET scorecard and Passport size photographs.
- Step 3- Passport: Students usually think that if they do not have a passport, then the registration process is not possible for them. This is not true, you can still register yourself even if you do not have a passport. It is not mandatory. Also, at the time of registration to the University, you can apply for your passport at
- Step 4- Then, the students will receive their Admission Letter from their chosen University.
- Step 5- Students will have to apply for ‘Visa Invitation letter’ then for which, you require the following:
- Medical Fitness Certificate
- Bank statement of 6 months (can be of Father or Mother)
- Passport size photographs with white background
- Step 6- Visa stamping is your last step for the admission process. We – at Education Abroad, get your Visa stamped from Embassies of respective countries of the Caribbean Islands in India
The University provides a high-quality teaching and learning environment, facilitate critical thinking, and produce graduates who are equipped to innovate regionally and impact globally. The UWI’s faculty and students take admissions from over 40 countries. The University is known for its collaborative links with more than 160 universities worldwide.
Benefits & Recognition
- Holistic Evaluation
- Easy Admission Policy
- Rolling Admissions
- Accelerated Study
- Clinical Rotations in Good Hospitals
- High Success Rate
- Tropical Paradise